Monday, March 19, 2012

Nigella's Chocolate Guiness Cake with Irish Cream Frosting


Guiness.  It’s not just for St. Patrick’s Day. 

I have a new favorite chocolate cake recipe and... it's made with beer.  Keep an open mind, kids - you'll be so glad you did.  It’s divine. It’s moist, not overly sweet, and has to be the easiest cake I’ve ever made.  And it’s begging me to make it again.  Like, now.

Thank you Nigella via Miso Bakes via Pintrest for the thread that led me to…Nigella's Chocolate Guiness Cake.  Did I mention it’s divine? 

It made 24 cupcakes, which I baked for about 15 minutes – used the Touch the top/Wait for the spring back timing method.  Don't tell anybody, but I inhaled one right out of the oven.  Then I offered one to my kid but made him give me a bite first.

I shamelessly jacked Miso’s idea for a Bailey's spiked frosting, but made my own cream cheese version.  It goes something like this:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. butter, softened
½ cup heavy whipping cream
¼ Bailey’s Irish Cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Cream the cream cheese & butter together in a mixer.  Add heavy cream, mix till smooth.  Add Bailey’s, then the powdered sugar.  You can add more cream or powdered sugar to get the consistency you prefer for your own frosting.  Taste it to make sure it's ok.  Be sure you save some for the cake.



You can easily adapt these to any holiday by enhancing them with the appropriate color bling.


No comments:

Post a Comment