Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Chopped Champ

I’ve been chopped.

The mystery basket:  Marshmallows. Blueberries. And pretzels.  (Did you use a Ted Allen voice in your head?)
My opponent:  A 10-year old boy.

We love playing family Chopped.  It’s all good fun.  We work together, we vote, we eat our creations, we win some we lose some.  But last night... I was in it to win it.  I love my kid and all but I really wanted this one.  While “he” was busy drizzling syrup, I was busy grinding pretzels for a butter/sugar/pretzel crust.  While “he” was strategically placing blueberries in each and every pretzel opening, I was busy whipping up a filling of cream cheese, melted marshmallows, and heavy cream.  While my plating involved topping off with a few blueberries and a pretzel crumble, “his” plating was kicked up at least 3 notches with the addition of Trix, strawberries, and peanut butter pretzels.

Clearly, he won hands down for Presentation.  He also smoked me in Taste and Most Creative Use of Mystery Ingredients.
I present to you... The Jones Family Chopped Champion and his winning creation, "Dreamy Goodness".



 

For what it's worth, my next cheesecake crust will involve pretzels.  I'm just sayin'...  And if you're in a pinch for something sweet, that marshmallow + cream cheese + heavy cream combo ain't too shabby, either.  I'll be making that again.  Obviously, not under the hot lights of kitchen stadium, but I'll definitely be whipping up another batch to go with my just-delivered-yesterday 28 pounds of Oregon blueberries.


Congrats on your win, son!  I love that you love cooking!







                    

No comments:

Post a Comment