Saturday, March 10, 2012

Clumpy Granola Goodness

My granola saga has a happy ending! I've been on a quest for a blend that's not too sweet, light and crisp, super nutty, healthy, and chocked with clumps.  

After concocting just the right mixture of  oat/nut/seeds, and conquering the "pour over", the final, untamed frontier that cost me many batches in the testing was... The Clump. In my quest I found 3 basic clumping theories:  egg whites (ick) , applesauce (eh), and... pressing.   Pressing - oh yeah!! Umpteen batches later, I finally did it. I made clumps!

I'm a fresh fruit kinda girl so dried fruit is not represented. You can always add whatever suits your fancy.  I'm also not big on precision measuring, and I think a little more here/a little less there probably won't matter. Granola is definitely not an exact science so tweak away.  


Here it is...

 Clumpy Granola
The Oats/Nuts/Seeds
1 c. quick oats
1  c. regular oats
1 c. regular oats pulsed in processor
1 c. almonds - slivered, sliced, etc.
1 c. pumpkin seeds
1/2 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. flax seeds
1/2 c. cashews (pieces, but big ones)

Change it up if you like.  I found a 1:1  oats to nut/seed combo works best.
Mix and spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.

The Pour Over
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut oil

Heat and whisk in small saucepan till well blended. Stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla and a little salt.

Pour it over the nut seed goodness and mix it all up.

The Trick
Now, here's the kicker. If you want clumps, which I highly recommend, take a metal spatula and Press It Down. Then press it down again for good measure. 

Pop it into a  325 (or reduce the temp if your oven runs on the hot side) degree oven for 30 minutes, or till nicely browned. You'll want to rotate the pan halfway thru the baking.  If you're not into clumps, give it a stir when you turn it.  


Take it out and top with about 1/2 cup of large  coconut shreds.

 Step away from the granola! Let it cool completely - about an hour - and wait for the magic to happen. When you can't stand it any longer, break off a big hunk! Yeah, baby.  That's what I'm talking about.



Now go get yourself some fresh berries, Greek yogurt, and crumble some of this goodness on top.  Man, I could eat this every day. Enjoy!  

2 comments:

  1. Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are granola lovers! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Smiles, Beth Gnile

    ReplyDelete