Saturday, March 31, 2012

Family Faves Part 1: Birthday Shrimp

Shrimp.  Garlic.  Lemon.

I call this Birthday Shrimp because it's the dish I always asked for for my birthday meal.  Technically, the name of it is Italian Broiled Shrimp.  (Sadly, I didn't make the potato deliciousness that usually went with it.)   I'm giving full credit for this recipe to my mom - I have no idea where she may have gotten it, and even if she didn't invent it, I figure she has squatter's rights based on how many years she's been making it.


Birthday Shrimp / aka Italian Broiled Shrimp



2 pounds raw shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. butter
Drawn Butter Sauce







Drawn Butter Sauce

1/4 c. butter
2 T. or more chopped garlic
2 T. flour
1/2 t. pepper
1 C. hot water
2 t. lemon juice
1/4 c. parsley

Melt butter in saucepan. Saute garlic. Stir in flour & pepper.  Add hot water and stir 5 min.  Remove from heat and add lemon juice. Stir in parsley.

Dry shrimp. Dust with flour.  Put oil and butter in broiler pan and heat till butter melts.  Add shrimp.  Broil till shrimp are just done.  Pour butter sauce over, stir to coat.  Broil 3-5 minutes till sauce starts to look bubbly and little brown bits start to appear around the edges.




Just lovely.




This is really good with pasta, but I didn't have any fresh on hand.  A big hunk of garlic bread makes a perfectly good substitute.


2 comments:

  1. Tried this out for company this evening. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hello! It's mom's recipe so she should have shared long ago. =) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete