Thursday, March 29, 2012

Slow Cooker Korean Beef


This was a bit hit with the hubby and kids.  I love it when I find a crock pot recipe that doesn't make me touch raw meat.  I'm ok with browning and all that, but no touching is way better.

I found this inspiration on a blog called Confections of a Food Bride.  Her recipe calls for short ribs and shreds the beef for tacos.  It also includes a yummy-sounding Cucumber Slaw, which I'll definitely try later.

Here's my version...














For recipe purposes, I'm calling the beef "stew meat".  I used some unmarked, carefully packaged for the freezer, squares of beef.   I made a couple of modifications, so check out the Confections version if you want to see the original or are interested in the slaw recipe.

5 lbs. beef - short ribs, stew meat, whatever you like
1 bottle low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tsp chopped garlic
6 T. rice vinegar
2 T. sesame oil
2 T. olive oil
1 cup water (optional)

Whisk all ingredients except water (and beef, haha).  Put the beef in crock pot and pour the sauce over.  If the liquid level looks low, add some water.

Cook on low for 6-8  hours.

Remove meat for the children who say "yuck" to spicy food, then add sriracha to the sauce and give it a stir.  Or just drizzle it on the plates of sriracha lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment